NTSB report N732SX

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

NTSB report N732SX

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:51 am

Hi all,
Some good reading on released accident report from N732SX, crash Feb 17, 2014 in Florida. Posted on www.kathrynsreport.com dated 12 dec 2015.

WaiexN143NM
Michael Radtke
WaiexN143NM

Re: NTSB report N732SX

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:20 am

Full NTSB narrative here:
http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviat ... 123&akey=1

Some of my former co-workers knew the pilot. One of them lived at the same airpark. They told me about the bad plug repair. I didn't want to say anything until the NTSB report came out.

Seems like a Sonex should be able to maintain altitude with one bad cylinder. Florida is very flat and low altitude.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby vigilant104 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:38 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Seems like a Sonex should be able to maintain altitude with one bad cylinder.
Maybe it would have (others have), but it doesn't sound like the pilot tried that before executing the turn that led to the stall and "spiral".

A Sonex isn't a sailplane, but it glides safely if the critical AoA isn't exceeded. It remains controllable to low airspeeds, and is structurally tough enough to provide good protection if set down in good/marginal terrain in a normal attitude and near Vso.

But we don't, and we can't, know all the factors that influenced the pilot's decisionmaking in this case. He had a lot of experience, surely could have recited the correct procedures based on a given situation, had practiced loss of power scenarios scores of times in sophisticated simulators, and yet we have this result. "Knowing" and "doing" aren't the same thing, and I'd be the last to say that I would surely have come out any better than he did.

A possibly related comment: Aluminum heads are soft, and the spark plug hole threads are easily damaged even if a great care is taken to avoid cross-threading, overtorquing, etc. As mentioned in another thread, many folks with a lot of experience trust the new Timesert thread repair method more than the older Helicoil method.
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby Onex107 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am

I have experianced a three cylinder take off. It acted llike a stuck valve. Just after leaving the ground it went to three cylinders. It runs rough like that but it still makes power. It will hold altitude and climb very slowly. You are working on the edge, between climbing and a stall, and this is flying straight out, runway heading. A turn is out of the question. After making it up to 1000 ft. above ground the cyliner came back on and I flew for an hour without a problem. That happened during the 40 hour fly off and never occured again.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Return to Safety and Training