transition training in Socal and insurance

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

transition training in Socal and insurance

Postby 1flyingyogi » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new on the forum and was wondering if anyone can recommend someone who can do the transition training with me in Socal. And also any recommendations for insurance? AOPA gave me a quote of $1,700 for liability only! Yikes!! I got a quote for an RV6 for only $600. Insurance somehow views the Sonex as a much bigger risk?? I want to call around to a couple of other companies to see if I can get something more reasonable. Thanks!

Brian
1flyingyogi

Re: transition training in Socal and insurance

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:11 pm

Hi Brian,

As of right now, the only location to obtain transition training is at the factory in Oshkosh, WI. I'm not sure how many people have received their LODA's to train in their own airplane other than myself, but I'll be honest and let you know that I don't carry that level of insurance and as a result don't really do any training in my airplane.

As for insurance, rates vary a huge amount depending on pilot qualifications, aircraft hull value, etc. Do you have much tailwheel time? I have found that an agent makes a big difference; if you'd like the name and contact info of my homebuilt friendly insurance agent, please message me!

Good luck!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Re: transition training in Socal and insurance

Postby 1flyingyogi » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:39 am

PM sent. Thanks Michael!

MichaelFarley56 wrote:Hi Brian,

As of right now, the only location to obtain transition training is at the factory in Oshkosh, WI. I'm not sure how many people have received their LODA's to train in their own airplane other than myself, but I'll be honest and let you know that I don't carry that level of insurance and as a result don't really do any training in my airplane.

As for insurance, rates vary a huge amount depending on pilot qualifications, aircraft hull value, etc. Do you have much tailwheel time? I have found that an agent makes a big difference; if you'd like the name and contact info of my homebuilt friendly insurance agent, please message me!

Good luck!
1flyingyogi

Return to Safety and Training