Losing a friend

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Losing a friend

Postby Sonex1517 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:10 pm

This post is the kind I hate to write, and is in no way meant to elicit any "so sorry for your loss" responses.

When I got into aviation back in the 1980's, even before I got my pilots certificate (which was years later) I already knew what we choose to participate in can be a hazardous activity. However, I have never been one to live on my couch and watch life go by. (Hence the reason I have over 3000 parachute jumps)

This weekend I was once again reminded of the fact that aviation can, at times, be extremely hazardous.

A very good friend of mine lost his life in his RV-8a, following the loss of engine power on a breakfast flight. A passenger was also lost.

For reasons unknown, he crashed in a field in Florida. Dane was a good safe pilot with an extremely well maintained aircraft, and the engine and prop were recently installed. We may never know what really happened.

The longer we fly, the more likely it is we will lose friends to the activity. And the longer we expose ourselves to the activity, we have to come to terms with this one way or another. I have long since chosen to pursue my inner AvGeek and participate.

But I also try to honor all those who have paid the price by learning about what led to the circumstances of their demise. I find myself struggling this evening with reconciling my friends death with the realities of the situation. I also find myself rambling in this post regardless of how hard I try to be clear.

As spring progresses to summer, and I continue my phase one testing, it is my personal goal to continue to recognize the risks, manage them, and address my own shortcomings as a pilot and a person who flies.

I would hope we all do the same.

Blue skies to my friend Dane, and may each of us fly safely.

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Turbo AeroVee
Taildragger
Chicagoland
First flight 10/10/2015
N1517S
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Losing a friend

Postby SonexEZ » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:42 am

Rob I am so sorry for your lose , I too am from Florida and was going to a fly in breakfast last weekend but i had something come up and could not go , if you think about it life itself is inherently dangerous , I lost my co-pilot of 35 years this past year and i am not sure i will ever be the same , Guy
BLUE skys
SonexEZ

Postby Sonerai13 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:50 am

Great post Robbie. Well said. Aviation is a very rewarding pursuit, but it is not without risk. (Nothing truly worthy of our efforts is without risk, one way or another.) If a person stays involved in the aviation community for any length of time, it is inevitable that they will endure the loss of a friend. It has happened to me more times than I would like. But we move on with fond memories in our hearts and we attempt to learn from other peoples' misfortune so that we may all become safer pilots.

Godspeed to your friend. And safe flying for the rest of us. Never take it for granted.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:13 am

Hi Robbie,
So sorry to hear. I saw the article on www.kathrynsreport.com. Godspeed.

WaiexN143NM
Michael Radtke
WaiexN143NM

Postby ihab » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:10 pm

SonexEZ wrote:... if you think about it life itself is inherently dangerous

That's very true.

You might think eating and drinking in moderation, exercising, never texting and driving, doing thorough preflights, never leaving the ground without current charts and A/FD :), and other habits of a life prudently lived would make you "safe". Unfortunately, that is not so.

I do all these things, yet was diagnosed with two independent cancers -- thyroid in 2012, and colon just a few weeks ago. In both cases I am thankful for excellent medical care and for the fact that I am expected to recover fully. But the lesson is, life is inherently unsafe.

Robbie, I know you didn't ask for us to say this, but I am very sorry for your loss.

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby ihab » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:15 pm

Sonex1517 wrote:A very good friend of mine lost his life in his RV-8a, following the loss of engine power on a breakfast flight. ... For reasons unknown, he crashed in a field in Florida. Dane was a good safe pilot with an extremely well maintained aircraft, and the engine and prop were recently installed. We may never know what really happened.

Am I correct in my assumption that this story is far more often told regarding higher performance experimental aircraft with simple zero-washout "Hershey bar" wings, than with the average Cessna? If so then, is this another opportunity to improve so that even average, stressed-out pilots can land safely in an emergency?

With respect and kind regards,

Ihab
Last edited by ihab on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby skyflies » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:04 pm

Is this Dane who is/was based in Waukegan and used to own a hardware shop?

Edit: Looks like it is the same guy. We were members of Stick and Rudder flying club in Waukegan, and he was gracious enough to show me his RV-8A when I was thinking about building one. Sorry to hear this news :cry:
skyflies

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:11 pm

Skyflies

Edit - yes, that is the same Dane. He was one of my friends that encouraged me to build. When I finished, we had a great conversation about it. Dane leaves a legacy we should all have....friends, family,and a very successful family business now in its 5th generation.

That is where I learned to fly

I used to live a mile from the club.

Great article:

http://jwcdaily.com/2016/03/15/hp-pilot-took-others-under-his-wing/
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger