Looking for a Sonex Instructor Near NC

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Postby sx1094 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:46 am

My bird is ready to go, but my insurance wants me signed off by an instructor. I live near Raleigh, NC. Is there any Sonex instructors near me that can sign me off? Thanks for the help. tom.gregorski@gmail.com
sx1094

Re: Looking for a Sonex Instructor Near NC

Postby gammaxy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:45 am

Does your insurance require a certain number of hours? I think mine required 3 hours.

My understanding is that for an instructor to receive compensation for training in a Sonex, they need to have a LODA (Letter of Deviation Authority) from the FAA. Only a few people have gone through the process for the Sonex and when I needed it only the factory was actively providing training. The Sonex Foundation has an article the discusses the process of obtaining a LODA: http://sonexfoundation.com/Obtaining_a_LODA.html

There's a good chance you'll find that traveling to Oshkosh for the factory transition training is the best or only real option. I did and had a great time. The training was fantastic.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby Sonex1517 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:06 pm

To date, there are only three LODA's we are aware of for the Sonex

The first was a gentleman in Illinois that I believe has stopped providing transition training.

The second is the factory T flight transition program. I cannot recommend this strongly enough. I went to the training prior to the first flight of my Sonex taildragger and it was excellent. We have a video on YouTube showing it.

Finally there is one LODA holder in Ohio, Michael Farley - but I do not believe he is actively offering training.

Your best bet is Oshkosh at the factory.

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
N1517S
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby kevinh » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:17 pm

Robbie - do you have a pointer to that video? I'd dig watching it.
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby SonexEZ » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:28 pm

gammaxy wrote:Does your insurance require a certain number of hours? I think mine required 3 hours.

My understanding is that for an instructor to receive compensation for training in a Sonex, they need to have a LODA (Letter of Deviation Authority) from the FAA. Only a few people have gone through the process for the Sonex and when I needed it only the factory was actively providing training. The Sonex Foundation has an article the discusses the process of obtaining a LODA: http://sonexfoundation.com/Obtaining_a_LODA.html

There's a good chance you'll find that traveling to Oshkosh for the factory transition training is the best or only real option. I did and had a great time. The training was fantastic.

I flew 25 hrs then got insurance
SonexEZ

Postby Sonex1517 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:28 pm

kevinh wrote:Robbie - do you have a pointer to that video? I'd dig watching it.

Our YouTube channel is

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCnIilmVPw6sVeUp_xPO7fw

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
N1517S
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:42 pm

I will also agree with Robbie and all of the others who attended the Sonex factory T-Flight training. I just did mine about 3-4 weeks ago and took advantage of being near Oshkosh for business/pleasure (in Chicago) and drove up to the factory for the day. Joe Norris and his team have a very well run program that goes at your pace but is designed to accomplish the FAA designated transition training program in as little as 2 hours ground plus 2 hours dual in the air. You can pick the plane that most closely matches what you are building, so it's very relevant. I was also able to check off my flight review during my 4 hours with Joe, so a bonus in my books!
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby dynomike » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:12 pm

I flew with a instructor in a sonex in Greenville if your interested.nice guy
dynomike

Postby sx1094 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:50 pm

dynomike, please send me the contact for the instructor in Greenville. Also sent a private message. Thanks
sx1094

Postby snx@cb » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:50 pm

Also looking for training in the Carolinas. Just purchased a flying sonex, want to get a few hours flight training. If you have a contact please send a PM. Cheers
snx@cb

Return to Safety and Training