Chutes- which one and where to buy

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat May 14, 2016 7:51 pm

Guilty as charged.

But then again, anyone who builds an airplane......
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Chutes- which one and where to buy

Postby mike.smith » Sat May 14, 2016 8:39 pm

Only 2,600 jumps for me, so Robbie has me beat. I've used a reserve parachute (the second parachute us jumpers carry) 4 times in all my years of jumping (one of them is a particularly good story to tell over a beer at Airventure!). And the most important thing, as Robbie says, is to learn how to use it. If you go to any skydiving center (http://www.uspa.org/dropzonelocator) they will have a "hanging harness" that suspends you in a parachute harness a couple of feet off the floor. You can practice pulling an actual ripcord handle and get used to being suspended in a harness. They can teach you about steering, etc. Take the opportunity to hang around and watch the jumpers do their gear checks before getting on the plane, and watch them land. If you really get the bug you can make a tandem skydive where you'll get to actually steer the parachute while harnessed to an experienced jumper.

As for the type of parachute for a Sonex/Waiex, a seat cushion type may not feasible simply because of the lack of head room, unless you are vertically challenged and you remove the seat cushion first. A seat-back type might work best, but even then you will likely need to remove the seat back cushion so you are not jammed forward to the instrument panel.

I've never flow a Sonex with the canopy ripped off, but that's what you'll be doing if you have to get out with a parachute. It might just fly like a brick, I don't know. If there is any spin to your descent it will be very disorienting and will likely impede your exit. You won't care about making any kind of a pretty exit; just get the heck out any way you can, clear the aircraft and pull the ripcord. We used to tell observers who went in the skydiving aircraft (everyone on board a jump plane has to wear a parachute, even the pilot) to just roll out the door, count to 3, and pull the ripcord, no matter your body position. Most people will probably count to 3 in less than 1 second! The point being they would be in a panic situation and not have any training or useful train of thought, so the simpler the instructions the better chance for success.

And as Robbie said, you should only buy a used chute if you can verify its condition. That means you have it inspected and repacked by a parachute rigger as a condition of purchase. Every chute will have a seal on the ripcord pin, with a red thread and a pressed lead seal. The lead seal has the rigger's unique letters on it, and the rigging card will be signed and dated with the same letters. If it was a recent repack you can try contacting the rigger and ask them about the chute. All parachutes have to be repacked every 6 months, so if the last repack date on the card is more then 6 months ago then it has to be repacked anyway. If it's within 6 months then it SHOULD have been thoroughly inspected by the rigger at that time.

And Barnstormer's is another place to look.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby lpaaruule » Sun May 15, 2016 11:49 am

Sonex1517 wrote:There are several manufacturers of emergency parachutes. I have zero interest in any of them so I am not going to 'recommend' any.

Hi Robbie,

I'm curious why you have zero interest in emergency parachutes. Is there are reason?
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Postby Sonex1517 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:44 pm

Zero interest. As in no financial interests, no bias, no recommendation.

Robbie
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby fastj22 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:48 pm

Sonex1517 wrote:Zero interest. As in no financial interests, no bias, no recommendation.

Robbie

Robbie, would your skydiving rig be an acceptable bailout rig? Or is it too bulky?

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun May 15, 2016 2:15 pm

So is chute age an issue? Do they ever time out even if stored indoors?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby mike.smith » Sun May 15, 2016 7:11 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:So is chute age an issue? Do they ever time out even if stored indoors?

Yes and no. If they are kept in the right environment they can last for a very long time. But human sweat, dirt and ultra violet light will break down the nylon over time, so if the rig has been used (even if never deployed) then all those elements will begin to do their work. Riggers will do a thumb test and try to push their thumb through the nylon, in several locations around the canopy. If it doesn't go through or deform the nylon then that's s good starting point.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun May 15, 2016 7:38 pm

Thanks Mike. I sold my National because 1) I wasn't using it and 2) because I needed the $ for a project and 3) I believed they had to be retired after 10 years. I sold it back in 2009.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Sonex1517 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:52 pm

fastj22 wrote:Robbie, would your skydiving rig be an acceptable bailout rig? Or is it too bulky?

Too bulky. The main and reserve are on the back.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Fastcapy » Sun May 15, 2016 10:21 pm

A little off topic but yet related.

I really think the rule for wearing chutes is ridiculous and should be removed.

1. Maybe some hardcore acro rides would be easier to bail from, but getting out of a plane like a Sonex or RV would be pretty tough. Heck, even Sean D Tucker had a hell of a time bailing from his dedicated acro plane over Florida. The canopy hit him in the head hard enough to dent his helmet, then he got stuck in the tail wires... If someone like Tucker has issues from a dedicated acro ride how likely is it we could make a successful bail.

2. Even if you were able to get out because you practice exit techniques doesn't mean your passenger would be able to get out, or have the wits about them to actually leave the plane in a situation that was severe enough to warrant punching out.

3. If your passenger did manage to bail, would they remember how to use the chute??? Maybe someone who has some jumps under their belt, but should we require someone to get jump training if we want to show them a quick roll or loop.

4. What if I want to do a roll with a friend and then later my daughter. Will one chute provide proper fitment for each or should we be required to stock a range of chutes to accommodate anyone who wants to do a simple roll.

5. I understand the importance of chutes for some things, flight testing, contests, etc. However, I think it should be up to the pilot to inform the passenger of the risks and give them the option if they feel they need one or not, not mandated by law.

I just feel that if someone takes up a buddy for a flight and decides to do a quick roll they shouldn't have to worry about the FAA yanking their ticket if the passenger posts a video of it on YouTube...

Again, I am not saying they are not a good thing to have/use, just that the hard legal requirement is a bit ridiculous. I really can not imagine any stats that prove chutes really save that many passengers lives. Seems most chute saves were during solo flight testing flights, or during solo acro practice for a competition or during a competition. I do know however I have heard many instances where the person impacted the ground with the wreckage while wearing a chute.

I guess I just can't see the need for a reg for someone performing sportsman level acro within the aircraft limits.

Rant over.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training