Accident N1950J Onex

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Accident N1950J Onex

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi all,
Just saw this post on www.kathrynsreport.com . Onex accident in Fresno CA. KFCH Chandler airport . Hope Mr Moore is recovering ok and can repair his aircraft.
Fly safe out there!

WaiexN143NM
Michael Radtke
WaiexN143NM

Re: Accident N1950J Onex

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:50 pm

Thanks for posting. It's very unfortunate but the good news is the pilot appears to be okay.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby TheGMan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:32 am

Here are direct links to reports and a video news report of the incident

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2016/01/i ... 16-at.html

http://abc30.com/news/small-plane-crash ... t/1153881/
Gary R
Dallas Area
TheGMan

Postby 13brv3 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:00 pm

The plane looks like it held up pretty well to a hard landing. Hopefully the pilot wasn't too badly injured.

There are no details in the report, but it's clear the prop wasn't turning when it hit, since the blade we see appears undamaged. Of course that doesn't mean it quit, since it could have been shut off as part of the emergency landing. I'm sure we'll get more details in time.

Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (150 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby nwyooper » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:48 pm

Wondering what the air scoop on top cowl is and engine doesn't look like a VW rocker arm cover?? Or maybe engine got pushed to starboard when prop dug in. Glad he survived.
Loren
Onex33
nwyooper

Postby rizzz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:12 am

nwyooper wrote:Wondering what the air scoop on top cowl is and engine doesn't look like a VW rocker arm cover?? Or maybe engine got pushed to starboard when prop dug in. Glad he survived.
Loren
Onex33

Not sure about the air scoop but the cover looks like a stock clip-on VW cover, similar to mine:

His were just painted yellow it seems.
The bolt-on covers Sonex uses are not stock VW, they are aftermarket, many companies such as CB, Bugpack, EMPI etc. produce these.
Many of the VW race people prefer the stock covers since it is not uncommon to get leaks from the bolt holes with the bolt-on covers. But of course they do look better. :)

It looks like the engine hot pushed in as you say though (or the cowl moved out).
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby nwyooper » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:51 am

Thought it might be stock but pic wasn't clear enough-thanks Michael. Looked at the pic again and I think you are right, the cowl got pushed to the left. BTW your engine looks good!
Loren
nwyooper

Postby vwglenn » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:00 pm

It looks like the stock VW valve cover. Never even occurred to me the first time I looked at it. I'm one of those guys who has always used the stock covers with the spring bails on my VWs. They may not look as cool but they do leak less than the bolt on type.

I've got no idea what the slit in the top of the cowl is for. Originally I thought it might be for the oil cooler but it appears to be too far to the rear. I wonder, if it wasn't sealed in some fashion, if it messed with the pressure effect and disrupted the flow of air through the cowl.

Looks like the engine mount may have broken judging by the gap in the cowl where the valve cover pokes out. Seems to be pretty common from most of the Sonex accident reports I've read. I think that's a good thing. A sort of crumple zone if you will.

I wonder what he hit coming in? The left wing is folded up pretty well but the leading edge tip seems to have little to no damage. Plus there appears to a pretty severe buckling at the folding point in the wing on the leading edge. Looks like damage from connection with an object rather than a stall. If it were a stall I would expect the tip to be beat up. It looks like it was a trike. Can't see a tailwheel or if it was there it may have been torn off. Maybe he came in flat left wing low and bounced but I don't see any gouges in the grass behind it.

All speculation because it could have been moved by the EMS guys when the pulled him out. Guess this is what happens when you go to the accident investigation course.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Return to Safety and Training