Left base to final turn with counterclockwise spinning prop

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Left base to final turn with counterclockwise spinning prop

Postby Kalibr » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:48 pm

As I've been enjoying my new to me Onex, I've come to realize one peculiarity of Aerovee engine (or any other engine spinning its prop counterclockwise) that may catch up to a pilot not used to flying behind those type of engines. Yes, on takeoff/climbout or other high power/lower speed maneuvers you need to be on the left rudder instead of the right one in a more conventional airplane. That's very obvious and takes very little time to get used to. What may appear less obvious is that with reduction of power you may need to be on the right rudder to keep the airplane coordinated. I was practicing simulated engine outs and the need to be pushing the right rudder to keep coordinated was very apparent with brisk reduction of power. I could see how this peculiarity may lead an unwary pilot down a very dangerous pass of flying a slow uncoordinated/skidding airplane close to the ground. One situation is the notoriously deadly base to final turn -- where the natural instinct of pointing the nose towards the runway with left rudder leads to a skidding turn, which combined with slow speed and either attempt to extend the glide or with wind sheer, may result in stalling/spinning into the ground. In this situation, the left yawing tendency with reduction of power of an airplane with a counterclockwise spinning prop aggravates the already potentially dangerous setup. Another situation is an engine out on takeoff/climbout -- with a sudden loss of power, i think, not only do you need to be prepared to push the nose down quite aggressively, but also letting go of the left rudder and pushing the right rudder to keep the airplane coordinated.
I am sure that I am stating the obvious for many pilots, but I thought someone may find it helpful nevertheless.
Kalibr

Re: Left base to final turn with counterclockwise spinning p

Postby radfordc » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:47 pm

Kalibr wrote:As I've been enjoying my new to me Onex, I've come to realize one peculiarity of Aerovee engine (or any other engine spinning its prop counterclockwise) that may catch up to a pilot not used to flying behind those type of engines. Yes, on takeoff/climbout or other high power/lower speed maneuvers you need to be on the left rudder instead of the right one in a more conventional airplane. That's very obvious and takes very little time to get used to.

I friend bought a Sonex and asked to fly with me in mine before he flew his. He had some tailwheel experience so I let him make the first takeoff. We lined up on the center line of a 150 foot wide runway and as the power came up he was pushing hard on the right rudder pedal....just the way he had flown every other plane before. The plane was already headed for the right ditch and I was yelling "left rudder" and beating on his left leg. I couldn't overcome the rudder pressure and figured we were going for a ride through the weeds. Luckily, the plane started flying before we reached the edge of the runway.
radfordc

Postby Corby202 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:07 am

I had the opposite after flying behind a VW for so long and then swapping to a Jabiru. As for coordinated turns, they seem fine as long as I leave the pedals alone.
Phil Bird
Sonex 759 JAB 2.2 Tailwheel
Mittagong NSW Australia
http://www.mykitlog.com/corby202/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78427482@ ... otostream/
Corby202

Postby avee8r » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:46 am

One situation is the notoriously deadly base to final turn -- where the natural instinct of pointing the nose towards the runway with left rudder leads to a skidding turn, which combined with slow speed and either attempt to extend the glide or with wind sheer, may result in stalling/spinning into the ground. In this situation, the left yawing tendency with reduction of power of an airplane with a counterclockwise spinning prop aggravates the already potentially dangerous setup.

I think the key here is to develop a "natural instinct" of flying the airplane in a coordinated manner without regard of direction of engine rotation or if its rotating at all.

Happy Landings
John
N50NX
avee8r

Return to Safety and Training