Hello from a Waiex test pilot

Re: Hello from a Waiex test pilot

Postby Gunther » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:58 pm

I have test flown over fifty aircraft through the years and highly recommend the following:

- Test fly in the early morning with zero wind and no traffic.
- Do not allow any spectators, family or friends to be present. No yappy distractions. No cameras.
- Ensure you are in the right state of mind and feel confident, otherwise leave it alone.
- Do a thorough pre-flight a day ahead and do another one just before the flight.

Good luck.

Gunther
Tri-gear Sonex, Turbo AeroVee, dual controls, 70% complete
Gunther

Postby rizzz » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Gunther wrote:- Do not allow any spectators, family or friends to be present. No yappy distractions. No cameras.

Thinking about it, this is actually a really good point.
I had already promised some of my friends they could come watch my first flight but now that you mention it, I might have to re-think that.
Not worth having any more distractions than needed.
Last edited by rizzz on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby fastj22 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:45 pm

I did have a good friend on the radio on the ground. And a few hangar rats.
They loved my last radio transmission before throttle up. "Luck is not a factor, failure is not an option."

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:47 pm

Gunther wrote:- Test fly in the early morning with zero wind and no traffic.
- Do not allow any spectators, family or friends to be present. No yappy distractions. No cameras.
- Ensure you are in the right state of mind and feel confident, otherwise leave it alone.
- Do a thorough pre-flight a day ahead and do another one just before the flight.

EXCELLENT ADVICE Gunther! It's a secret tradition around my local airport to have first flights exactly like you've said, and then later have an "official" first flight for friends and family later. I followed the same routine in order to avoid any distractions.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:12 am

Gunther wrote:- Test fly in the early morning with zero wind and no traffic.

This is the exact advice I give all pilots who are planning first flights. Especially the "no spectators" rule. There is enough emotion and pressure involved in a first flight without the added dimension of possibly disappointing the crowd. One, or maybe two, trusted helpers is good. Any more than that is too many.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby daleandee » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:04 am

Sonerai13 wrote: There is enough emotion and pressure involved in a first flight without the added dimension of possibly disappointing the crowd. One, or maybe two, trusted helpers is good.

I agree that this is very sound advice! I've done a couple of first flights. Used two helpers. One had a camera and a phone. The camera isn't required but desired if you like. Hopefully the phone is only to be used to share the great news afterwards.

The other had a radio and a fire extinguisher. Radio is used to talk to the guy in the plane, if needed, and hopefully the fire extinguisher isn't,

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Postby fastj22 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:32 pm

I found a man on the ground with a radio very handy to be able to be a second voice if I got busy with something. He also pinged me to check stuff while orbiting. Its a bit overwhelming those first laps around the pattern and you might forget to check CHTs, Oil, and other engine metrics.
I did have a another plane in the pattern with a student doing touch and goes when I announced my takeoff intentions and he graciously said, " we will depart the pattern, and good luck". Which I replied, "Luck is not a factor, failure is not an option. Thank you sir.". Got a double click from that.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Previous

Return to Introductions