Hello from Grand Forks, ND

Postby Sonex1243 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:40 pm

Hi everyone.
I recently joined the site (after a little lurking) and want to say thanks up front for the excellent information on this forum covering the aerovee engine and sonex aircraft!

I took the first step in this adventure to build and fly my own aircraft, in 2009, by buying a set of sonex plans before retiring from the military. While still working a post retirement job with frequent travel and raising a family, I have finally completed a tail sub kit! I recently ordered the kit minus tail with upgrades while attending the March 2015 workshop and am anxiously awaiting delivery. I went with the upgrades to save "some" time since I am a regular flyer / owner (PPL SEL, INST) and still turn wrenches on fixed / rotary wing GA aircraft until my next retirement! What can I say, I have been an aviation junkie my whole life.

Quick question. I plan to build the airplane in the tail wheel configuration and do not have any tail wheel time as a pilot. What have you folks done for the transition? I look forward to completing the aircraft and enjoying the countless hours of flying with friends and family.
Ken S
SONEX #1243 N424SX (reserved)
Tail complete, wings done
Fuselage on gear
Jab 3300 received!
Sonex1243

Re: Hello from Grand Forks, ND

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Ken,
Congratulations and welcome! I can't offer first hand advice on the tailwheel transition as did it the other way. I think anywhere local that can give you a tailwheel endorsement would be fine, and hopefully you can do some Sonex transition training before you fly your own.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Sonex1517 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:00 pm

Ken

Welcome!

I know others with more experience will add to this, but a basic tailwheel transition course should prepare you well.

Glad to have you around!!
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:49 pm

Sonex1243 wrote: What have you folks done for the transition? I look forward to completing the aircraft and enjoying the countless hours of flying with friends and family.

Hello Ken,

Welcome to the group! We're glad you're here and hope that we can all help you as you proceed with your build.

Good question on the tailwheel time. I was fortunate; I had a Champ available for rent at my airport and ended up getting my tailwheel signoff in it. I flew it around until I had 10 hours tailwheel time which helped with insurance then was ready for my Waiex. I would recommend you call around to your local airports and see if someone has a tailwheel airplane available for instruction. Then, as you get your Sonex ready for flight, you can get a hold of a Sonex LODA holder and get a little bit of Sonex time to prepare you for your first flight.

Again, welcome and keep us up to date on your build!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby wlarson861 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:33 am

Ken;
I was a student pilot when I bought a 1946 Luscombe 8A. I flew that for over 100 hours until I sold it. 30 years later I was nearing completion of my Sonex and had to get back toi current (after a 20 year absence from aviation) and took lessons in a Champ. Once I flew the Sonex I was shocked at how much easier the Sonex was to fly than either of the legacy tail draggers. As others have said get an endorsement in just about any tail wheel airplane and you will have no problem with the Sonex.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby Sonex 772 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:56 am

Quick question. I plan to build the airplane in the tail wheel configuration and do not have any tail wheel time as a pilot. What have you folks done for the transition? I look forward to completing the aircraft and enjoying the countless hours of flying with friends and family.[/quote]

I know every one it different and has different skills in flying an aircraft.. But I have to say the Sonex Taildragger is not that hard of an aircraft to fly.. I did all of my training in a Cessna 172, I started way back in 1988, I changed jobs and was out of flying for a few years, then got back into it in 1991. I got a total 23 hrs, then I had to changed jobs again moving to an area that had no flight training or flying clubs.. I picked it back up again in 2012 when my Sonex was almost complete.. I was able to use my 23 hrs from way back when and after flying another 17 hrs I was able to go take my check ride.. Now that I was done with my check rid it was time to get a tail wheel endorsement.. A friend of mine had Kit Fox and he let me use that to do my tail wheel endorsement which took only 5 hrs to complete..

Once my Sonex was finished I had a total of 80 hrs in a 172 and the 5 hrs in the Kit Fox. I tried to find some one to fly it for me for the first time, but I live in a small area and I couldn't find anyone to help me out.. I met a guy on this forum that offered me some flight time in his Sonex, so we met up a couple of times and he let me take the stick to get the feel of the Sonex. I only few it once it was in the air, I didn't do any take offs or landings in it..

I was down at the airport one morning and it was a nice calm day, my wife came down with me and a friend of mine heard I would be down there and he also showed up.. I was just down there to do some taxi testing not to fly the Sonex. I did my first run down the runway and turned around and went to do another one, I said to myself that this is not fun at all, so on the second run I said the heck with it and hit the gas and away we went. The Sonex jumped off the ground and flew great. I wasn't nervous until it finally hit that I am in the air in my Sonex!! The first flight was 15 mins and I have been having fun in it for a total of 45 hrs..

For me the Sonex was a real easy plane to fly, although it is very sensitive on the controls at higher speed, but a lot of that goes away on landing, the lower the speed the less sensitive, so it is hard to over control it on landing..

Mike
Sonex 772(sold), 509(flying now and is for sale) and now buiding 739
Sonex 772

Postby Sonex1243 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:41 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Ken,
hopefully you can do some Sonex transition training before you fly your own.

Thanks everyone, I did take a flight during the work shop, unfortunately, it was only allowed in the tri-gear since I didn't have a tail wheel endorsement. I had a blast and felt right at home flying it. The instructor let me taxi, take-off, do a few maneuvers and even accomplished two landings! If the tail wheel version handles this well, it should be a fairly easy transition as you all suggest.

I also just became aware that the FAA has put out a new AC allowing a second person (qualified pilot / qualified observer) during the test flight and flight testing phase. I haven't completely read it, but, face value it looks like it may be a possible alternative to the tail wheel check out.
Ken S
SONEX #1243 N424SX (reserved)
Tail complete, wings done
Fuselage on gear
Jab 3300 received!
Sonex1243

Return to Introductions