Postby mike20sm » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:05 am

Hi, this is Mike, one of the newest additions to the Sonex builders forum. I've been lurking around the past few months studying up, gaining the courage to take the plunge so to speak. I did and am now waiting for the arrival of the kit which should be soon. I ordered a little bit before I was ready because the recent price increase "forced my hand" so I'll have to keep it stored at my warehouse at work while I finish preparing my workshop. In addition to building the plane, I'll be doing double duty training and studying for my pilot's license since I'm not currently a pilot. I've only got just under 4 hours currently, but each weekend I continue to chip away at the seemingly monumental goal. At the start, I'd hoped to build it in approximately a year, but I now know that's probably a pipe dream, and that 2-3 years is a bit more realistic. I recently attended the Mojave Air and Space port fly in and was happy to see 4 or five Sonex planes there, I hope to make it there myself sometime in the future.
Standard Sonex kit #1692
preparing workshop for arrival
http://websites.expercraft.com/mike20sm
mike20sm

Re: #1692

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:23 am

Hey Mike welcome to the club! There are some nutjobs (said with deep respect) who can do it in a year but 2-3 is totally achievable. Good luck on your flight training! What are you flying?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Sonex1517 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:52 am

Welcome Mike!

Great to have another new forum member - we look forward to hearing about your progress!

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby dtwolcott » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:18 am

congratulations Mike
Sounds like you are jumping in with both feet on your adventure to not only becoming a pilot but also being able to fly your own plane built with your own hands. I think a year or so down the road you will have a grin so big that everyone will wonder what you have been up to.
Don
Don
Waiex 132 N132YX
3MY
dtwolcott

Postby vicdelgado9 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:44 am

Welcome to the forum Mike!

I too and building and working on my pilots license with several hours under my belt. My build is a scratchbuild with an extended build time going on 9 years in June of this year. I am not that slow of a builder, I just spend extended periods of time away from home for work. I just pick the project back up when I get home and keep on making little accomplishments until one day I will be done. I get really homesick to work on my project while I am away from home sometimes, so I take flight lessons so at least I feel I am making some progress towards my goal.

I think you will find out soon enough how addicting and satisfying it is to work on your plane.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your progress reports too.
Vic
Vic Delgado
Sonex "CorVex" #969 Plans
3.0L Corvair, tail dragger, single stick
Houston, TX
Expercraft Builders Log
complete: tail,wings, welded & angle parts
"Old Corvairs never die, They just earn their wings".
vicdelgado9

Postby vicdelgado9 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:44 am

Welcome to the forum Mike!

I too and building and working on my pilots license with several hours under my belt. My build is a scratchbuild with an extended build time going on 9 years in June of this year. I am not that slow of a builder, I just spend extended periods of time away from home for work. I just pick the project back up when I get home and keep on making little accomplishments until one day I will be done. I get really homesick to work on my project while I am away from home sometimes, so I take flight lessons so at least I feel I am making some progress towards my goal.

I think you will find out soon enough how addicting and satisfying it is to work on your plane.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your progress reports too.
Vic
Vic Delgado
Sonex "CorVex" #969 Plans
3.0L Corvair, tail dragger, single stick
Houston, TX
Expercraft Builders Log
complete: tail,wings, welded & angle parts
"Old Corvairs never die, They just earn their wings".
vicdelgado9

Postby mike20sm » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:57 am

Bryan Cotton wrote: What are you flying?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and words of encouragement. I'm currently training in a Schweizer 2-33 glider. I remember how valuable it was when my cousin and i taught ourselves to fly R/C
By building 2 meter balsa gliders and i'm hoping that same foundation will carryover into the big boys too.
Standard Sonex kit #1692
mike20sm

Postby aferddaberts » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 am

Hello Mike,

My name is AL Roberts, I too am relatively new builder, have been working on a Waiex since this past January. So far I am to the point of being ready to Cleco on the bottom skin to the fuselage. I have made several mistakes along the way that I had to correct. So if I can help you not make these same goof ups, Please email me directly, I find that to be an easier and faster way to comunicate. My address is robieal2011@att.net.

Good luck too, with your flight training.

AL
aferddaberts

Postby mike20sm » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:11 pm

Nice to meet you Al. I plan on taking full advantage of "standing on the shoulders of giants" principle, and learn from all those before me.
You made me think of something that might be a good idea. If there isn't one already, perhaps someone should make a sticky type thread devoted to lessons learned from their build and then everyone could chime in and some consensus could be reached on the absolute do's and do not's.
Standard Sonex kit #1692
mike20sm

Postby kevinh » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:42 pm

Mike (and others),

I'm in the same situation as you and if it helps here's a slightly organized collection of various ideas I've found in this forum that seemed worth writing down:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/120R ... sp=sharing

See the comments at the head of the document, and feel free to add comments inline (by right clicking and choosing 'add comment').
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Next

Return to Introductions