Eric From Indiana - Waiex 153

Eric From Indiana - Waiex 153

Postby EricS » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:09 am

Hi All,

I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Eric Seber and I live in Jasper, IN. I just received the complete Waiex kit S/N 153 yesterday from its previous owner in FL. I am an A&P mechanic and work remotely for an international charter airline as a maintenance training instructor/developer. I've been interested in building a kit aircraft for quite some time and that time has finally come. I found this kit advertised for sale on the Sonextalk group forum on Yahoo a few weeks ago and inquired about it. The previous owner received the kit in July of 2010 and never started it. The kit included the Jabriu engine mount, pre-built wing spars, and machined angle component kit. The aircraft will have a standard gear configuration. I looked everything over yesterday after getting it home and only found one damage part. The LH Stabilator skin is dented on the inboard and outboard edges a little. I think I'll be able to straighten it out without any issues. I think I'm lucky since the kit hase been shipped from OSH to FL and then to me in Indiana.

My father and I will be heading up to Oshkosh on Friday to attend the Sonex workshop over the weekend. I'm really looking forward to it and hope to get a better idea of where to start and how to effectively use the plans.

I recently stated using Kit Log Pro to keep track of everything I do with my project. So far it is easy to use and provides just enough functionality. Here is the link to the published site for those interested: http://www.mykitlog.com/EricS

I look forward to chatting with everyone in this group and have already found much of the info here VERY VALUABLE!

Cheers,
Eric Seber
Eric Seber
Waiex #153
Jasper, Indiana
http://www.mykitlog.com/EricS/
EricS

Re: Eric From Indiana - Waiex 153

Postby N111YX » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:02 am

Welcome to the site, Eric!

Many of us here are happy to help out in any way we can, just ask.

If it's the same kit that I had been watching...you got a deal! Even if you had to replace the skin, you are well ahead...:)
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1100 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby EricS » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:10 pm

Hi Kip,

Thanks! I will definitely do so.

By the way, I am frequently in the Atlanta area, so maybe we can meet up sometime. I've seen your posts of your aircraft and would love to see it in person.

Eric
Eric Seber
Waiex #153
Jasper, Indiana
EricS

Postby structurespilot » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:10 pm

Welcome Eric, Greeting from the great white north.

I'm curious about one thing Eric, when you get a chance, could you weigh your engine mount for me? I'm building a Corvair powered Waiex (very slowly), and I would like to know how much the Jab. engine mount weighs?
Waiex Tail kit built! Working on Corvair engine core.

Norm (structurespilot)
structurespilot

Postby EricS » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi Norm,

Greeting from the Midwest! I just happened to have that box open, so I checked really quickly. This is probably not a very accurate measurment, but the bathroom scale said 12 lbs (5.44kg) for jab engine mount. I'm not sure how accurate the scale is, but that should be within a pound or two. Hope this helps!
Eric Seber
Waiex #153
Jasper, Indiana
EricS

Postby structurespilot » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks Eric, check out my other post "New 3300 Jabiru weight"
Waiex Tail kit built! Working on Corvair engine core.

Norm (structurespilot)
structurespilot

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:58 pm

Welcome Eric and congrats on the purchase of your kit! I know you're going to have a blast building then flying a great airplane. Have fun at the workshop this weekend and keep us up to date on your build progress.

Have fun and good luck!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby EricS » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks Mike! I'm itching to get building, but I just ordered the hardware kits today and have more organizing to do before I jump in.

I'll keep you posted. Enjoy the nice fall weather! I think it's going to be chilly in OSH this weekend.

Congrats on finishing your kit!
Eric Seber
Waiex #153
Jasper, Indiana
EricS

Postby dbdevkc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Eric,

I was just checking out your kit log. You state you have limited space... what I see is an incredibly clean and empty space! o.O Looks like you have plenty of room to spread out. You should see my work space - oy!

Kevin
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby EricS » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:50 am

Hi Kevin,

You are right, I do have a fair amound of space, but since the kit has arrived I feel much more cramped! We have a two car garage with a 13 x 29 foot workshop attached. I guess if I had more space I would just fill it up with other stuff that I could really do without, so I shouldn't be complaining;) I have just come to realize that where I store and work on stuff has become much more improtant now.
Eric Seber
Waiex #153
Jasper, Indiana
EricS

Next

Return to Introductions