Montreal area Sonex?

Montreal area Sonex?

Postby Rich » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:12 am

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and was wondering of there are any Sonex owners in the Montreal area that would be willing to show me around their aircraft.

I am interested in building or buying an affordable aircraft for local fun flying, occasional overnight trips, light aerobatics, and in a few years - teaching my sons to fly. The Sonex looks like a promising design to meet these requirements.

Any advice or suggestions would be most helpful.

Cheers

Rich
Rich

Re: Montreal area Sonex?

Postby Gunther » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:32 pm

Hello Rich and welcome to the forum! It sounds like the Sonex may be perfect for your mission. You are fortunate as the Sonex can be registered in Canada in one of three categories:
- Amateur Built
- Basic Ultralight
- Advanced Ultralight
If the Advanced Ultralight Category is of interest, contact Mr. Bill Bryan, Toronto AeroSport, 647-218-5403. Mr. Bryan is authorized by Sonex to sell, inspect and authorize their aircraft for the Advanced Ultalight Category.
You are also welcome to contact me by private email and I would be pleased to help you in any way that I can.

All the best,
Gunther
Tri-gear Sonex, Turbo AeroVee, dual controls, 70% complete
Gunther

Postby Rich » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:33 pm

Thanks for the info Gunther.

I think that Amateur Build would be the path I would have to take to permit aerobatics in Canada - assuming I have understood the regulations correctly.

Does anyone know of any issues that may have been encountered in gaining Transport Canada approval for aerobatics in an Amateur Build Sonex? I would be thinking along the lines of specifying a limited number of specific manoeuvres in the application (eg loop, barrel roll, 1/2 Cuban, 1/2 horizontal, and aileron roll).

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Rich
Rich

Montreal area Sonex?

Postby Friesen5 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:29 am

There is a completed and flying Sonex near Montreal. The builder's name is Mike Boivert. Check and search the builder's database on the Sonex website. He would certainly be a good resource for your questions.

Mervin Friesen
Sonex 122
C-FMNX
Friesen5

Postby Rich » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:52 am

Thanks Mervin,

I will go and look in the database.

Cheers

Rich
Rich

Return to Introductions