Peter from NY

Peter from NY

Postby PeterNYNJ » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi, I'm Peter, Onex builder #170 from New York City. After decades of thinking about it, I've finally decided to start building.

Last year I flew to Wisconsin and went on a familiarization flight with Joe Norris in the Sonex trainer, and was
really impressed! (If you have any doubts about how nicely the Sonex flies, book a flight.)
What a professional operation they have there! The Sonex went to the top of my list.

But the Onex makes more sense for me since hangar space is scarce here. It's my first build, but second plane and maybe they can share a T-hangar? Anyone know of any small T-hangars available in north/central NJ suitable for kit assembly at some point?

I'm planning Aerovee, tailwheel, polished aluminum, and lightweight for simple aerobatics (the opposite of the regional jets I fly out of Newark, NJ at my job).

I'm glad to learn from all of you and thank you for all your builder's tips that you've posted!

Thanks,
Peter U
Onex #170
NY/NJ
Peter
Onex #170
Aerovee 2.1
Conventional Gear
Flight Test Phase 1
PeterNYNJ

Re: Peter from NY

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi Peter and welcome to the forums! I am originally from southern CT not far from the city. I miss some things about the east coast but hangar costs and availability is not one of them! I sat in the Onex at the workshop and think they are cool, good luck with your project! The folding wings should give you an opportunity for cheap hangar space.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby PeterNYNJ » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks Bryan, I used to be a CFI in CT, beautiful place to fly, with the LI sound right there.
It was a tough decision between the single vs 2 seater. The Sonex with Aerovee, dual sticks and sport trainer controls I got to fly sure flew nicely and was comfy. Good luck with your project too!

Peter
Onex #170
NY/NJ
Peter
Onex #170
Aerovee 2.1
Conventional Gear
Flight Test Phase 1
PeterNYNJ

Postby GordonTurner » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:04 pm

Hi Peter,

I live out on Long Island and I'm building a Waiex. Working on the wings, only a few small things like the fuselage and the engine and pretty much everything else to build after that. Interested to hear how you get started and maybe we meet someday. Best of luck.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby XenosN42 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:10 am

Hi Peter,

Michael here. I bought Onex SN# 169 and it and an Aerovee engine are arriving this Monday. Can't wait to get started. I've already setup my workshop and sorted the Wicks hardware kit into bins. Even fabricated a jig I'll need to bend the tail's horizontal spar.

This is my second Sonex build. The first was a XENOS which I've been flying for about 3-1/2 years now.

It wasn't clear from your post: are you doing the initial build in your home and final assembly at a hanger, or planning to do all of it at the airport? Hopefully the former otherwise it will take you much longer. Here is a link to an article of special interest to NYC area builders: http://www.sonexaircraft.com/news/newsarchive95.html#Jackson_Xenos

I hanger my XENOS and will do the Onex final assembly at Blairstown, NJ (1N7). That's about a 1 hour 40 minute drive from NYC without traffic, so your results will vary. There is plenty of space for 1 XENOS and 2 Onex in the hanger. So I can offer you a spot there. And of course I'd be happy to help out with wing rigging and engine tuning.

I can also offer you some stick time in my XENOS if you'd like. It has the same Aerovee that your Onex uses so that will be a great way to learn how to manage the engine. Recently a local prospective Sonex (classic Sonex model) buyer flew about 5 hours in my XENOS. He couldn't believe how easy it was to fly!

Let me know.

-- Michael
XENOS N42XE (flying 3 years)
Onex SN#169 (t-minus 7 months and counting!)
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby Heywoody » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:44 pm

Hi Peter.......Onex 082 was finished this summer and is based (for the moment) at Morristown,NJ (KMMU).....if you're in the area I'd be glad to show her off to you.....or, if you e- mail me at Woody.saland@falcon.jet I can send you some pics.....I've done 10 flights with her so far.....still working out the bugs......
Heywoody

Postby PeterNYNJ » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:38 pm

GordonTurner wrote:Hi Peter,

I live out on Long Island and I'm building a Waiex. Working on the wings, only a few small things like the fuselage and the engine and pretty much everything else to build after that. Interested to hear how you get started and maybe we meet someday. Best of luck.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I'm up in Westchester with only a small 1 car garage to work in for now, but may be moving to NJ because I work and fly there. I ordered the kit with machined components and spar options, to be shipped next month. I guess I should start with the smaller parts like the tail first and then move a little closer to the airport as the pieces get much larger? This is my first kit, so it could take a while to figure out everything. Best of luck with your Waiex and hope to meet you sometime too!

Peter
Peter
Onex #170
Aerovee 2.1
Conventional Gear
Flight Test Phase 1
PeterNYNJ

Postby PeterNYNJ » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:43 pm

XenosN42 wrote:Hi Peter,

Michael here. I bought Onex SN# 169 and it and an Aerovee engine are arriving this Monday. Can't wait to get started. I've already setup my workshop and sorted the Wicks hardware kit into bins. Even fabricated a jig I'll need to bend the tail's horizontal spar.

This is my second Sonex build. The first was a XENOS which I've been flying for about 3-1/2 years now.

It wasn't clear from your post: are you doing the initial build in your home and final assembly at a hanger, or planning to do all of it at the airport? Hopefully the former otherwise it will take you much longer. Here is a link to an article of special interest to NYC area builders: http://www.sonexaircraft.com/news/newsarchive95.html#Jackson_Xenos

I hanger my XENOS and will do the Onex final assembly at Blairstown, NJ (1N7). That's about a 1 hour 40 minute drive from NYC without traffic, so your results will vary. There is plenty of space for 1 XENOS and 2 Onex in the hanger. So I can offer you a spot there. And of course I'd be happy to help out with wing rigging and engine tuning.

I can also offer you some stick time in my XENOS if you'd like. It has the same Aerovee that your Onex uses so that will be a great way to learn how to manage the engine. Recently a local prospective Sonex (classic Sonex model) buyer flew about 5 hours in my XENOS. He couldn't believe how easy it was to fly!

Let me know.

-- Michael
XENOS N42XE (flying 3 years)
Onex SN#169 (t-minus 7 months and counting!)

Hi Michael,

I met you once at a Blairstown sailplane meeting back in 2011 I think. (I'm a sailplane pilot too.) Thank you for showing me your Xenos sailplane, and answering my many questions, what a well-built aircraft! I was at Blairstown shopping for my Beech Skipper 2-seater at the time, which was tied-down across the field. Wow the pictures of how you built your Xenos in such a limited space are really inspiring!

Thank you for the hangar space offer and offer of help, and I would also be happy to help your build if I can in any way. Right, I have a 1 car garage in NY I can use for the initial build until the parts get too large, then I plan to move to a hangar for final assembly at some point. I'm on the waiting list for a hangar in Central Jersey, and I called Blairstown about a hangar a few weeks ago since it's the same distance from me. I'm still looking for a hangar for the 2 small planes for when I'll be needing them eventually, but it's great to be able to share a hangar if necessary!

I'm also tooling up and figuring out the details of the build process. It could be a while since it's my first build. I'll attend the Sonex Workshop next month if I can get the days off of work, and that should help me figure out some of the details before Onex #170 and the Aerovee arrive around the end of next month. I flew Sonex's Sonex with the Aerovee for half an hour, and it flew so easily, that I felt comfortable flying it right away too!

Anyway, great to know that another Onex builder is nearby and hope to see you around NJ soon!
Peter
Onex #170
Peter
Onex #170
Aerovee 2.1
Conventional Gear
Flight Test Phase 1
PeterNYNJ

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:10 pm

Peter,
Where did you teach in CT? I learned at MMK, flew some at OXC, and towed/soared a bunch at 11N with Nutmeg Soaring.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby PeterNYNJ » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:16 pm

Heywoody wrote:Hi Peter.......Onex 082 was finished this summer and is based (for the moment) at Morristown,NJ (KMMU).....if you're in the area I'd be glad to show her off to you.....or, if you e- mail me at Woody.saland@falcon.jet I can send you some pics.....I've done 10 flights with her so far.....still working out the bugs......

Hi Woody,

Congratulations on the completion of your Onex! I saw your video (From Garage to Blue Skies) on youtube, and you have a great looking plane and paint scheme there!
Thank you for posting the video, there aren't many Onex videos out there yet and it's otherwise hard to get the experience of flying the single seater.
It's great to have another Onex builder in the local area. I'm about an hour away, and I soloed at MMU back in the 90s.
Best of luck with the flight testing, and hope to see you around NJ in the sometime too!

Peter
Onex 170
Peter
Onex #170
Aerovee 2.1
Conventional Gear
Flight Test Phase 1
PeterNYNJ

Next

Return to Introductions