Mike from Chicago - Waiex #63

Postby mfazio » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:06 pm

Greetings,

I would like to introduce myself to the group. I have wanted to build longer than I can remember. I started on a Zenith 601 rudder kit right before they grounded the fleet a few years ago. Oh well. In a way I am glad since that made me take a closer look at Sonex. I made the decision to go with Sonex a year or so ago and started planning my build. I luckily found a Waiex kit for sale down in Indianapolis. There were only a few control surfaces completed so the kit was largely unfinished. I feel like I got a pretty good deal in the end. I had the kit in my workshop the beginning of July and have have been busy machining parts. Been loving every minute of it!

I attended the Sonex workshop this past weekend and had a very good experience. It only reinforced my feelings of the company. I joined the Church of Sonex and drank plenty of their Kool-Aid. Highly recommended.

Cheers!

Mike
Chicago, il
Waiex #63
mfazio

Re: Mike from Chicago - Waiex #63

Postby Mike53 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:37 pm

Welcome to the group Mike.I also left the work shop a year ago with the same feeling about the company.John can be a bit ,shall we say curmudgeonly ,as I discovered at Oshkosh this summer but I don't hold it against him. :lol:
Good luck with your Waiex.
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby Sonex1517 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi Mike

I can relate to the post - started building a year and a half ago after a lifelong dream....

I live out where Aurora and Naperville run together - building a standard gear Sonex and planning on an AeroVee. You're welcome to come on out and see it - won't be around this weekend as I am off to the ASA fly in. (you should join us!)

Welcome to the craziness!

Robbie
Sonex 1517

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Mike from Chicago - Waiex #63

Postby mfazio » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:49 am

Robbie - I would love to come out and take a look at your Sonex! Thanks for the offer. I belong to an EAA chapter down in Morris, IL and occasionally get down that way. I've been trying to locate some builders in my local area and I heard there is a fella up in the Waukegan area. Would be great to have some folks to talk to when I hit those head-scratching parts of the process.

Mike
mfazio

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:16 pm

Mike

We'd love to have you for a visit - I am a mile west of LL10 between Rt 59 and Eola Rd. If you fly we can get you at ARR, DPA, Clow, or Lewis - if you drive we are easy to find.

Weekends are best, other than this one....

Just about to disassemble the left wing, clean it up, run wires and goses, dimple the leading edge, and move on to the right spar and wing. Watch out - stay too long and I will put you to work.

Robbie
Sonex 1517

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S