First Question

First Question

Postby swiftgringo » Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:28 pm

Hello all. I'm a mature student pilot with a lifelong interest in aviation. I have some industry background as a non-pilot (mainly rotorwing) and I'm very excited to be flying myself. My plan is to finish my PPL, obtain the most inexpensive to own/operate plane I can find and gain experience while I build something better : ) Many will say I'm getting ahead of myself (myself included) but I've worked out a deal on a Corben Baby Ace and I'm in the process of lining up the right Sonex project to take over. I know two experienced builders in my area who have built FlyCorvair engines so that's what I'm leaning towards. (I'm aware that there has been some heated debate on that subject.) With that in mind, I'm looking for a model A tailwheel. I've corresponded and visited a few potential projects that are 2/3 built but ordered as tri-gear. I'm pretty settled on the Sonex but I haven't poured over any plans yet. How hard is it to convert and partially completed tri-gear to tailwheel?

Looking forward to interacting with the fine people here.
~Cory

PS: I like Sonex because they seem to be the best value on the market. I'm looking at used kits because I think there's a much better chance of finishing one that's half done... and it leaves more money for other aviationy things.
swiftgringo

Re: First Question

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:28 pm

Can't comment on FlyCorvair or AeroVee engines.

Jabs - only by reputation = good value for money, latest variants, possibly more reliable than old.

I fly a Sonex Legacy/Rotax 912ULS. Hard to beat Rotax for reliability, durability, fuel consumption, smooth & quiet operation BUT costly to purchase. Personally I don't think costly to run IF you take the time to find the most cost effective (& safe) service part for the job.

By the time a Rotax has reached TBO & beyond, the purchase price will have been easily justified by the lower running cost.

There will be a World of difference between the handling of a Sonex & a Corben Baby Ace - suggest you do some conversion training before going solo.
Skippydiesel

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:09 pm

Hey Cory,
Sikorsky Alumni here. Used to fly Enstroms too.

To convert a nosewheel Sonex, I think you are looking at a new engine mount and you will want to remove the nosegear main landing gear mounts from the cabin. Weight is the enemy.

I'd also counsel you to not do anything quickly. I'd recommend getting that private rating first. It's good to become a pilot so you know what kind of pilot you are. And if you want to go tailwheel, see if you can get to your rating in a tailwheel aircraft. In the meantime you may find the right Sonex project, which is already tailwheel.

I think the Corvair engine is worthy of consideration. My Waiex is on the tail heavy side - I could not get close to the forward CG limit during phase 1. So the Waiex may be the optimal Sonex airframe for the Corvair. Some of our brothers here have had great luck with a Corvair in a conventional tail Sonex. Dale will be along shortly.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:49 pm

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified ... x-Kit.html
No affiliation - but it's a tailwheel.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby swiftgringo » Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:56 pm

Yeah, I'll have to do my due diligence before I fly the Sonex. Agreed that a tailwheel waiex would be the ideal project but, I'll have to see what I can get. I don't actually know how people test their cg, but I reckon you could do it with 3 scales and a tape measure.
swiftgringo

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:10 pm

swiftgringo wrote:I don't actually know how people test their cg, but I reckon you could do it with 3 scales and a tape measure.

Also a level and a plumb bob.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Scott Todd » Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:33 am

Not to take any wind out of your sail, but buying a project to 'build time' can be a struggle. Buy a flying airplane. There are always good deals on Barnstormer. There are a few nice flying Sonex's on there now. Then decided if and what you want to build. I saw a Video of Burt recently and he figured 90% of people that started kits never finished them. He also said building an airplane costs an average of 1.6 wives :) Buy a flying airplane first.
Scott Todd

Postby kmacht » Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:43 am

Nose wheel to tail wheel is a little more involved than just changing out the motor mount. The nose wheel gear legys will be too short so you will need new longer titanium rods for the tailwheel gear legs. You will also need to make new gear leg fairings for the longer legs and you will need to move and possibly lengthen the cables or hydraulic lines for the brakes. You will also need to find a way to drill the axles to the new gear legs using the existing holes or welding them up for new holes. Finally you will need to replace the tail skid with the tail wheel mount. I'm not sure how easily the holes can be accessed for the forward part of that mount since it is buired up inside the fuselage. You will not only need to unbolt the old one but also find a way to match drill the new one to the existing airframe holes in that tight space. Everything above can be done but it's not cheap or easy. If you want a tailwheel then I would suggest holding off until you find one for sale. Projects come up for sake rwgularly so you just need to be patient.
kmacht

Postby Scott Todd » Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:49 am

But if you find a nice nose dragger you like, buy it. Fly it and get used to how it operates. Then the conversion can be done in a weekend with a little pre-planning. Do the gear fairings after you get it flying in another weekend. Then take out the old main gear mounts at the next condition inspection. Been there, done that...For a few days work, I ended up with what I wanted.
Scott Todd

Return to Introductions