Wes's Onex #89

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Wes's Onex #89

Postby builderflyer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:26 pm

Hi Wes,

How did you modify the RV nose wheel pant to be able to remove it from the wheel? On my Sonex it was necessary to move the pant joint backwards to the axle location. That alone was quite a bit of work but it also allows for removal of the front part of the pant while the back part of the pant remains attached.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
Attachments
20200325_100917-1.jpg
builderflyer

Postby WesRagle » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:58 pm

Hi Art,

builderflyer wrote:How did you modify the RV nose wheel pant to be able to remove it from the wheel?

I used a very thin cut off wheel on the dremel tool and cut from the gear leg opening to the flange of the aft half of the pant. The pant can then be flexed and pulled on from the back. This method might work better on a Onex than on a Sonex.

The screws on the nose and the fairing hold the slit closed.

There are a lot of screws to fuss with but minimal fiberglass work.

And Art, you need new tires ;-)

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:34 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm working down the punch list. One of the items is the rudder cable fairings. I ordered some fairings a long time ago. Never really gave them much thought.

Here they are:

I don't understand. How does that work :-) Am I supposed to force the clevis on the rudder cable end through the yet to be made opening in the fairing? Has anybody used the ABS cable fairings? Picture?

EDIT:

That's going to work just fine.

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:35 pm

HI Guys,

Ok, I'm just about out of anything to do. Just piddling with all the little things I've been putting off. Just realized that I need a data plate.

Installed the pitot-static probe.

Painted the wing lock indicator.

Fitted and painted the rudder fairings. I'll wait until tomorrow to pop them on.

Squirted some paint in the aft end of the wing tip where I forgot to paint.

I went ahead and added a blast tube that points in the general direction of the coils. Figured it couldn't hurt.

So the list looks something like this.

Just realized I misspelled pitot. Oh well, I caint spell noth'in.

Can't put seating off any longer. I'm short in the torso. And due to that genetic defect, have no arse at all. So, sitting in the Onex with factory cushions feels like sitting in a hole on a rock. I'll figure something out.

EDIT: I have this:

You don't think they'll sue me do you?

Forever Forward,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:26 pm

Hi Guys,

I've been crawling in and out of the cockpit trying to get comfortable. I want to sit as high as possible. Here is what it took to lift me out of the Onex seat hole:

I'll probably have to slump just a little on bumpy days but I'm OK with that.

The factory seat cushions have velcro sewn onto them but the opposing velcro doesn't have any adhesive. How am I supposed to use it? Advice?

Any advice on drilling the hole in the wing lock handle for tie down purposes? At first glance it looks like I should drill the holes as high as possible to cut down on the leverage the tie down has on the handle.

Funny side note. I got in the cockpit, put the headsets on, and of course the first thing I noticed was the button on top of the cap. So, I went looking for a "flying hat". I don't know about you guys, but ball caps seem to breed in my closet.

Out of all those caps I could find only two caps without a button on top. An old EAA chapter hat and an AOPA hat. Just proves it's been way to long since I've been flying.

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby wlarson861 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:01 am

You can stick the Velcro down with contact cement. I would also add a few spaced rivets through the Velcro to keep it from pulling away. An alternative is to buy some "industrial " Velcro, it has a pretty strong adhesive and has held my seat cushions in since 2012.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby dirkverdonck » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:24 am

Hi Wes, I didn't like the idea to put stress on the handle and bolted an attachment bracket to the main spar using some of the bolts already installed before skinning the inner wings.
Probably too late for your project!
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:55 am

I bought some industrial stick-on velcro based on recommendations from one of the guys here. Worked great.

I always rip the buttons off my caps. Squash them with pliers and they won't put up much of a fight.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rofomoto » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:45 am

Hey Wes. What ever you do get rid of that cowboys hat!!! Lol
Nice job!!!!
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby WesRagle » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:21 am

Hi Guys,

OK, I'll get some "Industrial Velcro" and drill the tie down high on the handle and hope for the best.

Rofomoto wrote:What ever you do get rid of that cowboys hat!!!

Hey Billy, you do remember the 90's? The days of Emmit Smith, Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Jay Novacek, and Daryl "Moose" Johnston. Every year It only seemed natural to garb up for the next Super Bowl party.

A hat and T-shirt that have never been worn:

Hope springs eternal :-)

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle