CorVex Vic in Houston Texas

CorVex Vic in Houston Texas

Postby vicdelgado9 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:32 pm

My name is Vic, and I am plans building a "Corvex" taildragger, which is the Sonex Airframe #969 mated with the Corvair engine. I have been building at a very slow pace for about 5 years now. Empennage is completed and currently working on the spars. I have 2 corvair engine cores already that I hope to get a completed engine from. I have decided to go with the 3.0L corvair conversion from William Wynne using the Motor mount and 5th Bearing from Dan Weseman. The 3.0Liter uses 92mm VW Jugs with the specially designed concave piston from William Wynne which will produce about 110hp. For me it was a good middle of the road choice that would provide more power than the standard corvair 100hp engine, without having to bore out the block to the very close clearances with the 94mm jugs. I now have the "Cleanex" and the "Son of Cleanex" within a couple of hours drive. I have seen both of them first hand, and am even more impressed with their perforrmance and design after seeing in person.
Vic Delgado
Sonex "CorVex" #969 Plans
3.0L Corvair, tail dragger, single stick
Houston, TX
Expercraft Builders Log
complete: tail,wings, welded & angle parts
"Old Corvairs never die, They just earn their wings".
vicdelgado9

Re: CorVex Vic in Houston Texas

Postby Andy Walker » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Hey Vic...

I think the Corvair is a great engine for the Sonex, especially if you can safely squeeze 110hp from it. The only reason it's not recommended by Sonex is that it's slightly higher than the 200lb max FWF weight recommended by Sonex. Have any pics of your engine(s)?
Andy Walker

Postby vicdelgado9 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:19 pm

Andy,
I have a few pics on my builders website, www.Expercraft.com/victord but they are of the core only I believe. I have one engine disassembled, some parts cleaned and painted, block cleaned and ready for boring. Heads or crank have not been sent off yet, and will hopefully do within the next couple of months. One other important mod I forgot to mention was that I will be doing the swing back canopy mod on my plane as well.
Vic Delgado
Houston, TX
Expercraft Builders Log
vicdelgado9

Postby falvarez » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi Vic,

I'm scratch building Sonex #800 and had originally planned to go the Corvair engine route but have since changed my mind. I just received my Crank back from reconditioning by Moldex a couple months ago and would be willing to sell it at a discounted price. William Wynne helped me disassemble the case and inspect the Crank and it is in great shape. William drilled the safety shaft in it, and Moldex performed the Nitriding, grinding 10/10 under, radiusing, and polishing the surfaces.

Let me know if you are interested...Moldex charges about $450 for the service...I'm asking $350 (price includes shipping to TX)

- Frank
Frank Alvarez
Sonex #800, Aerovee 2.1
Scratch Building (working on Cowl)
falvarez

Postby vicdelgado9 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:12 pm

Frank,
Email has been sent to you! Any other corvair parts you bought and may be selling?
Vic Delgado
Houston, TX
Expercraft Builders Log
vicdelgado9

Return to Introductions