Frank from Maryland

Frank from Maryland

Postby Frank » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:12 am

Hi all,
I've been lurking on this BB for a month or so as I've been trying to make some decisions on what to buy/build and how much work I want to commit to doing.
I'm 99% decided on building a Sonex with tri gear and an Aerovee engine. Due to work constraints I'm still at least 8 months from purchasing and starting, but I happen to have a lot of time to get my research done right now so I am trying to read ahead as much as I can. Hopefully the process will be a little smoother if I do enough research now. This will be my first aircraft build and the sonex looks like a good place to start. I hope it will be a decent one-hop weekend cross country plane (~400 NM).

Little about me, I'm a helicopter pilot by trade but recently spent 4 years going back to my fixed wing roots as a primary flight instructor in the T-6 for the air force. Now I'm back in helicopters I want a little of that fixed wing flavor still. (I occasionally like to go upside down)

Well that's enough for now. I'm sure I'll have questions for you guys as I make some purchase decisions and start into my building.

-Frank
Frank

Re: Frank from Maryland

Postby kmacht » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:55 am

It is a bit of a drive but if you can fly up there is the Northeast Sonex gathering happening on September 7th at the airport in Keene New Hampshire. There is a website with the information:

http://home.comcast.net/~mike.smith208/ ... _********/

There are usually a large number of builders there and at least a few aircraft with some giving rides. It's a great place to go and talk with other builders to see if the Sonex might be the right fit for you.

Keith
kmacht

Frank from Maryland

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Hey Frank

Welcome to the forum and the Sonex community! Lots of good information here and some fantastic new friends.

Robbie
Sonex 1517

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Sonex1588 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Frank,

I would like to add my welcome to the Sonex community. I think you will like the airplane and Sonex is a class company. I recommend the weekend builders workshop offered by Sonex and the American Sonex Association fly-in in Crossville, Tenn 11-12 October. The Fly-in is a great place to see airplanes and to talk with builders. Rides are usually available. Don't forget your local EAA Chapter.

I am currently buiding the wings of my tri-gear, aero-vee powered Sonex just a bit south of you in Northern Virginia. Tail feathers are done. This is my first airplane project and I am enjoying the process.

Michael
Sonex 1588
Sonex1588

Postby Frank » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:23 am

Keith, Robbie, and Michael,
Thanks for the welcome.
I plan to take advantage of the workshop and fly in's as soon as I can. For now due to geographic restrictions I'm limited to internet research. (also the only reason I haven't made a purchase and started building) Unfortunately my travel distance right now is a few thousand more miles than my home location would indicate. As my return home gets closer, I will probably buy plans to have a few months to review them before attending the workshop and ordering/starting to build. I have been checking out builder logs and this site quite a bit. I can see this community has a wealth of info that you are all willing to share. That's been a huge plus as I have been making my decisions.

-Frank
Frank

Postby Frank » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:23 am

Keith, Robbie, and Michael,
Thanks for the welcome.
I plan to take advantage of the workshop and fly in's as soon as I can. For now due to geographic restrictions I'm limited to internet research. (also the only reason I haven't made a purchase and started building) Unfortunately my travel distance right now is a few thousand more miles than my home location would indicate. As my return home gets closer, I will probably buy plans to have a few months to review them before attending the workshop and ordering/starting to build. I have been checking out builder logs and this site quite a bit. I can see this community has a wealth of info that you are all willing to share. That's been a huge plus as I have been making my decisions.

-Frank
Frank

Postby Brad Strand » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:17 am

Frank,

I just returned from my second house hunting trip to Maryland. The wife and I are relocating to the Eastern Shore. It is good to know that there are builders in my new state.

Brad
Brad Strand

Postby Frank » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:36 am

Hi Brad,
The eastern shore is a nice area. Will be great for flying. Staying clear of the DC airspace is much easier on that side of the bay. I'd live there if i felt like commuting and dealing with bridge traffic. As it is my commute is long enough. I will probably end up flying out of St Marys Co. (2W6) when I get to that point. But Bay Bridge (W29) has been one of my favorite airports since I was a kid.
Good luck on the move.

Frank
Frank

Return to Introductions