Vic from Houston

Vic from Houston

Postby vicdelgado9 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:38 pm

My name is Victor "Vic" Delgado from Houston Texas. I have been interested in aviation since I was young and have never had any aviation enthusiasts in my family to support me, though that did not stop my facination for aviation to grow through out my life time. I am finally at a point in my life where I have decided to start living my dream of building and flying my own aircraft. I can truly say that the creation of the Sport Pilot category jump started me into making a move towards building my own aircraft. The cost of obtaining a pilots license was always what kept me from pursuing my aviation dream. The reduction in requirements and cost of that help push me over the edge and put me into gear.

I researched the aircraft possibilities for over a year and monitored the Sonex builder forums absorbing everything I could about the plane. I started building my Scratchbuilt Sonex #969 in 2006, a few months before I even acquired a set of plans. I started early by designing and fabricating a set of LED Nav/Postion lights that were going to be used on my Sonex when it was built. Those lights are no longer a part of my project, but still hang on my workshop wall, as a reminder now of my ambition to get started building my plane somehow. My decisions regarding my project have changed several times over the years during my build from engine choice, to how many sticks, to canopy type and configuration, etc... and still take place quite regularly. I still am very happy with my decision to build a Sonex though, and that has not changed.

I am a definitely considered a slow builder, mainly because I have chosen to finance my project on my meager budget as I have progressed, but also because my occupation sometimes takes me away from home for months at a time, while my project sits idle waiting for my return. In addtion, I like to scratchbuild some items that most people never even consider doing such as my fiberglass tips, some instruments, position nav lighting, and even researching, testing and fabricating my own taxi landing lights. Sometimes it may have been cheaper just to buy an item, but the knowlege I gain and the pride I get from just knowing I made it myself is substantial every time I see and use it. I really enjoy utililizing the knowledge and experience I have gained during my lifetime and use it in my aircraft project, plus learning new skills like welding, and sheet metal work to fabricate the parts myself.

I can't tell you when my project will be airborne, but I can tell you that my dream has been a reality since that spark was reignited several years ago and has been materializing more and more with each hour I spend on my project.

No less important, are the many great aviation friends I have made and their assistance along this continuing journey of my path to the sky.

My first and only ride in a Sonex was in Robert Barber's Scratchbuilt "Sexy Hexy".
Vic Delgado
Sonex "CorVex" #969 Plans
3.0L Corvair, tail dragger, single stick
Houston, TX
Expercraft Builders Log
complete: tail,wings, welded & angle parts
"Old Corvairs never die, They just earn their wings".
vicdelgado9

Re: Vic from Houston

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:17 pm

Great intro Vic. Welcome to the forum.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Sonex1517 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:24 pm

What Bryan said!! Welcome Vic - great to see you here.

Robbie
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby vigilant104 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Vic,
Thanks for that post. At least for me, "the dream" was/is worth something on its own, in addition to being a roadmap to a tangible end.
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Hey Vic! Welcome to the forum! It's great to know that scratch-building is still alive and well. We don't hear enough about scratch-building these days. Keep up the good work!!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Return to Introductions