Mark in Michigan

Mark in Michigan

Postby s10sakota » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:27 pm

Just thought I'd say hello since I'm poking around. I am currently building an RV-7 but also just bought a Cherokee 160. I bought it just to fly until the RV is done, but now this Cherokee has seemed to change my thinking on what I want/need!

I'm used to flying behind the Rotax engines that burn 4 gallons an hour. It's quite different now with the Lycoming burning 8 gph of expensive avgas. That's ok if I'm going someplace or I'm carrying a lot of camping gear or other people, but flying it gets expensive when I just want to do some 'sport flying'. I intend to keep the Cherokee so now I really have no need at all for the RV. But I'm a kitplane guy and still want to build/own an experimental. The RV is my third homebuilt.

So as I was filling up at the pumps on Saturday, our chapter president pulled up in his Sonex. After talking to him and looking at his airplane, the light bulb went off! If I keep the Cherokee, I don't need another airplane that burns 8-9 gallons of avgas per hour like the RV. What I need is a very economical sport plane to fly when it's just me enjoying those early morning or late evening hops. The Sonex would be perfect! Instead of spending another 50k to finish up the RV, I could spend 26k and have a Sonex! Then perhaps just store the RV and work on it later for something to build over the next 10 years or so....who cares how long it takes, right?

One of the problems with the RV is that there are many areas where it takes two people to rivet. I've had my wings sitting idle for three months now trying to match schedules with someone to come over and help with the bottom wing skins. I think one person can build the Sonex.

So anyway, I'm lurking here trying to learn more about the Sonex. I'll definitely be on the Sonex prowl at Oshkosh!
s10sakota

Re: Mark in Michigan

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:46 pm

Mark,
I have found a few places where it helps to have two people - but others on the forum have built single handed. It is easy to build. A cheap airplane to own was one of the deciding factors in choosing a Waiex. Have fun!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:35 pm

Hello Mark,

Welcome to the forums! We're glad you're here and happy to hear that you're considering the Sonex as a possible future project. Needless to say you're going to find a lot of people here who love their airplanes and are happy to share their stories.

Just as an example, I wrote an article discussing my decision on the Waiex which you can find by going to the main Sonex website (www.sonexaircraft.com) and under the 'Choosing Sonex' tab, look for 'Sonex Aircraft Flying Stories'. If you scroll down to my article ('My Life With A Waiex') you can read what led me to choosing this airplane.

Basically, pretty much every reason you just mentioned is EXACTLY why I chose my Waiex. Easy and quick to build, cheap to operate and maintain, yet an absolute blast to fly!

What part of Michigan are you located? It's a beautiful state, but as a loyal OSU Buckeye, I have to recommend you steer clear of Ann Arbor! :mrgreen:

Again, welcome to the group!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby fastj22 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:52 pm

If you already have an RV kit to scratch your build bug, a Cherokee to take you places, why not just buy a used Sonex for fun. Obviously you can maintain it yourself and can get right up in the sky and start having fun.
I would seriously look at getting a Jabiru or Corvair one though. The extra HP puts a really big smile on your face. Did I mention my hangar mate is selling his?

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby radfordc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:36 pm

s10sakota wrote: I could spend 26k and have a Sonex!

Or...you could spend $24k and be flying this one by the weekend!

radfordc

Postby s10sakota » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:43 pm

Wow! 24k? Why such a low re-sale value?? I have no need or desire to buy a flying kitplane. I have an airplane to fly now (Cherokee) and I enjoy the personal satisfaction of building maybe as much or more than flying. I like the idea of building a Sonex and then have a very affordable airplane to fly, and then like I said, finish the RV later when I can just take my time on it and almost make it a 'perpetual' project. I'm not even sure what I would do with the RV once it's done since I don't really need it.
s10sakota

Postby radfordc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:10 am

s10sakota wrote:Wow! 24k? Why such a low re-sale value??

I'm asking $24k because no one bought it at $25k. Next time it will drop to $23k.
radfordc

Postby Johns » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Nice plane, I am currently thinking about purchasing a Sonex. If I was TD rated I would be interested in that beauty. Too bad.

John
Johns

Postby fastj22 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:57 pm

Johns wrote:Nice plane, I am currently thinking about purchasing a Sonex. If I was TD rated I would be interested in that beauty. Too bad.

John

Don't let the tailwheel chase you away. The sonex is probably the easiest tailwheel plane to handle. And getting your endorsement is fun as is learning something new. I just recently did it and don't regret it one bit.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby DCASonex » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:32 am

If not familiar with flying a Sonex class aircraft, get transition training. if doing that, get it in a tail wheel Sonex. Go for it.

David A.
DCASonex

Return to Introductions